Our thoughts continue to be with all of those affected by recent hurricanes in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico and throughout the Caribbean along with the earthquake victims in Mexico.
HOBY is committed to helping our Global Community by empowering YOU, our hundreds of thousands of alumni, to do whatever you can to help the efforts to restore basic necessities, such as hospital care, electricity, clean water and food for those in crisis.
We will continue to share important updates and needs for long term support as we hear of them but below are links and ideas of ways that you can help with relief efforts immediately:
1.) CASH DONATIONS (Always a first choice)
- United Way: unitedway.org
- Global Giving:
- Hispanic Federation: hispanicfederation.org/donate, select “Hurricane Relief Effort” from the drop-down menu.
- Fundraiser by Ricky Martin– https://www.youcaring.com/peopleofpuertorico-957793 –
- Puerto Rico relief: Text UNIDOS (space) YOUR AMOUNT (space) and YOUR NAME. Press send.-
- All Hands Volunteers: All Hands works with local volunteers and groups to respond to natural disasters. With Hurricanes Harvey and Maria, it is focusing its efforts on the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Irma and Harvey ongoing relief: https://publicgood.com/media/cnn/campaign/help-for-hurricane-irma-victims
- American Red Cross: redcross.org
- Catholic Charities: https://catholiccharitiesusa.org/
2.) HOLD A COLLECTION DRIVE:
Puerto Rico: http://prfaa.pr.gov/unitedforpuertorico/
Donation contact: email@example.com
Emergency Supplies Needed:
- Bottled Water • Baby wipes • Hand sanitizer • Diapers • Canned foods • Dry foods • Baby formula • Garbage bags • Towels • Canned milk • Canned and dry pet food • Baby and adult pain relief medicine • Stomach and Diarrhea relief medicine • Mosquito repellant • Blankets • Pillows • First-aid kits • Laundry detergents • Dish soap • Cots
Extension cords • Ground fault protectors • Pop-up canopies • Shovels • Wheelbarrows • Crowbars • Hammers • Utility knives • Work gloves • Wood panels • Electric generators • Electric cables • Tarp • Ropes • Chainsaws • Safety glasses
In addition, at the request of Governor Rosselló, NY Governor Cuomo encourages donations to United for Puerto Rico: Together Changing Paths, a 501(c)3 organization, operating under the guidance of the First Lady of Puerto Rico Beatriz Rosselló.
Antigua and Barbuda: http://www.antiguatribune.com/consulate-general-of-antigua-barbuda-in-miami-opens-warehouse-for-hurricane-relief/
Texas: Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner is asking people to donate clothing, medical supplies, baby items, and food to nearby shelters. Feeding Texas is coordinating with local food banks to distribute food and cleaning supplies. The organization is asking people to drop off non-perishable food, bleach, and paper towels.
Diapers and other supplies for parents: http://www.texasdiaperbank.org/our-programs/disaster-relief/
For opportunities anywhere: https://www.hands.org/volunteer-with-all-hands-volunteers/
Donation Logistics Volunteers for United For Puerto Rico Contact Maria2@prfaa.pr.gov
4.) GIVE BLOOD:
“Nationwide, around 44,000 blood donations are needed each and every day to meet the needs of accident victims, cancer patients, and children with blood disorders. These patients and others rely on blood products during their treatment. If blood collections are negatively impacted by a disaster, the long-term care needs of these patients could also be affected.
When disaster strikes, this need does not diminish, even though blood donors may find it difficult or impossible to get to a convenient donation opportunity. If people will make an appointment to donate blood in the upcoming days and weeks ahead, blood will be available in the aftermath should conditions prohibit people in some parts of the country from traveling or coming to blood drives.”
Make a blood donation appointment online or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
5.) USE YOUR MAGICAL POWERS (of Social Media):
- Stay up to date on the dire situation and relief efforts of Puerto Rico via the following twitter handles: All Hands Volunteers @AllHands, Jennifer Lopez @Jlo, Alex Rodriguez @AROD, Mark Cuban @MARKCUBAN45, Andrew Cuomo @NYGovCuomo, Lin-Manuel Miranda @Lin_Manuel, Ricky Martin @Ricky_Martin and by following #UnitedForPuertoRico, FLRecovers
- Create campaign awareness by using #UnidosPorPR, #UnitedForPR, #MariaPR, and #PrayForPuertoRico
- Join in on the Tweet efforts to bring the US Hospital Ship, USNS Comfort, to Puerto Rico by tweeting your support and encouragement to President of the United States, Donald Trump @POTUS and @realDonaldTrump.
- Sign and share the petition:
6. SHARE WHAT YOU ARE DOING
Let’s create the ripple effect of caring by sharing what you’re doing and donating and encouraging others to join in with your efforts. Small efforts can make a big impact if we work together. Tag us and we will share!
FOLLOW HOBY social media channels @HOBY for any other news and SHARE, RETWEET and forward to your own audiences.