With Valentine’s Day and ALA both this coming weekend, we thought we’d highlight the HOBY HUG! There is no better gift for the HOBY Ambassador, Volunteer or Friend in your life than a HOBY HUG. It shows your support of their accomplishments and dedication to leadership while supporting HOBY programs.
What is HOBY HUG?
While I don’t know the exact history that pinpoints the HOBY HUG, now it’s a term that the ‘HOBY family’ universally uses when they embrace. Like regular hugs, HOBY HUGS show support, comfort, friendship, admiration, and pride (particularly when words are insufficient). Additionally, it is also serves as one of our loveliest ongoing fundraising campaigns.
When you visit our HOBY HUG Donation page, you can send a virtual HOBY HUG to anyone you choose for with just a $5 donation! The recipient, whose email address you provide, will receive immediate delivery of a HOBY HUG and optional message from you! It’s a grand gesture, yet so very simple.
We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth.
The Harvard University Gazette says:
- Hugs are as vital to the health of development of infants as food and water, according to decades of research by a Harvard scientist.
- Dr Carlson conducted an experiment in Romanian orphanages to study the nurture effect achieved through touch on child development
- The more children are being held, hugged and played with, the higher their levels of the cortisol hormone, and the higher their level of development.
Other scientific studies have shown that people who are regularly hugged by their close family and friends have:
- More upbeat moods
- Reduced heart rates
- Lower blood pressure
- Increased nerve activity
- Reduced levels of cortisol (a stress hormone. When cortisol dips, there’s a surge of two “feel good” brain chemicals, serotonin and dopamine).
- Increased levels of the hormone oxytocin (a hormone which promotes bonding).
For those times you can’t HUG, HOBY has a solution. Send a HOBY HUG on Valentine’s Day (or any day. )It’s easy. It supports HOBY Programs and it makes your friends and family just as happy as a real hug*!
*not scientifically proven, but pretty likely
Want to give a HOBY HUG now? CLICK HERE
Want to be reminded to buy one on February 14th? CLICK HERE
Want to purchase another special gift from the HOBY LOVE collection? They are big hits with our ambassadors and Alumni and also support HOBY programs? CLICK HERE