“It’s a funny thing about life, once you begin to take note of the things you are grateful for, you begin to lose sight of the things that you lack.”
– Germany Kent
It is understandable right now that we all may need to dig a little deeper to find our gratitude. As a society, we’re exhausted by the pandemic and what we’ve lost both individually and collectively. However, despite all that exhaustion, there is a magic in finding and expressing gratitude and there is the magic of HOBY.
This year tested many of us, and HOBY wasn’t immune to the challenges of 2020. After 61 years of hosting spring and summer leadership development programs, we faced the real possibility of not being able to offer any programs, and certainly not as we had all become accustomed to. There was no way to safely bring together thousands of students both here in the United States and around the world and as that reality unfolded, it was the wider network of HOBY donors, volunteers, alumni, and partners, both past and present that reached out to say “What can we do to help”? And that was the catalyst that allowed us to transition and continue to offer programming this year.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank each of you:
- Thank you to our community of HOBY Volunteers, you have proven again to be our greatest asset. Your commitment to our Ambassadors and the integrity of our program is unsurpassed. It is your innovation, creativity, and determination that carried our program transition from in-person to virtual this year.
- Thank you to our ambassadors and alumni for bringing your enthusiasm and energy to our new program format, You continue to be the inspiration for everything we do.
- Thank you to our donors for your investment in youth leadership and for understanding that when you invest in youth, you’re investing in our future. You are fueling the next generation of active and compassionate leaders.
- Thank you to our schools and partners for your continued belief in the potential of your students and for your continued confidence in our HOBY programs. We are grateful for your sponsorship and honored to serve your students.
- Thank you to our parents for supporting and encouraging your child’s leadership development through HOBY. We are grateful to be a catalyst in their leadership journey and we thank you for enabling their engagement with us.
And finally, we remain eternally grateful to Hugh. It is his vision and inspiration that drives us, to fulfill the mission year in and year out.
The road ahead of us is still riddled with challenges and questions, however, we are extremely grateful to have the support of each of you as we continue to inspire young people to change the world.